Friday, December 06, 2013

CANAL

I have a date for Mothra vs. Godzilla which will definitely be the title for my solo at Monika Bobinska's new gallery CANAL in Haggerston

60 De Beauvoir Crescent
London N1 5SB
0786 606 3663

1st Feb to 8 March, 
pv on Saturday 1 Feb 4-6pm


I quickly dashed out a mailout to special folks with the following rather unrefined text.

My father is a collector, my mother is constantly clearing things away. Recently my mother is gaining the upper hand. They have begun to discard more and more things so as not to be a burden to my brother and I when they die. My grandfather's film reels and father’s baby reins are just two of the objects I have saved from the bin. Seeing my dad when he was younger than I am now, was a strange experience for me, akin to the paradoxes of time travel. The images of him in a different era also made me aware of our vulnerability. We are at the mercy of unseen powers. The title of the show references a spate of Japanese monster movies released in the 50s and 60s. 
It speaks of a futile conflict between ridiculous forces. In addition from the jetsam of my parents’s life the show also gleaned from abandoned objects rescued from a neighbouring derelict house. Its owner, recently deceased, left a lifetime of objects which nobody wanted. 


No comments: